There’s nothing better than waking up to a warm breakfast on a brisk fall morning. With our Squash & Apple Hash recipe, swallowing difficulties will not stop you from enjoying all of the flavors of the season. There are two versions of this recipe listed below to meet your IDDSI consistency.
|2 Servings||6 Servings||12 Servings|
|Pork sausage, seasoned, raw||6 oz
|1 lb 2 oz (raw weight)||2 lb 4 oz (raw weight)|
|Dried, minced onion||1 tsp||1 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
|Butternut squash, minced to 1/4″ pieces||1 cup||3 3/4 cup||7 1/2 cups
(1 qt 3 1/2 cups)
|Apple, peeled, cored and minced to 1/4″ pieces||3/4 cup||3 cups||6 cups
(1 1/2 quarts)
|Broth (chicken or beef)||1 cup||3 cups||6 cups
(1 1/2 quarts)
|THICK & EASY® Instant Food Thickener – Tub
|1 1/2 tsp||1 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
|Spinach, fresh, finely minced||1/4 cup||3/4 cup||1 1/2 cups|
|Salt & pepper||To taste||To taste||To taste|
How to Prepare
- Spray pan with cooking spray
- Add sausage and dried, minced onion and cook until meat is browned and no longer pink. Use a spoon or spatula to break up sausage into very fine crumbles (1/4″ size)
- Remove meat mixture from pan; set aside
- Pour broth into hot pan; bring to a boil and stir to loosen any remaining meat pieces from bottom of pan.
- Add minced butternut squash and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add minced apple; cover and simmer for additional 3-4 minutes or until both the squash and apple pieces are fully cooked and softened.
- Add finely minced spinach and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle THICK & EASY® Instant Food Thickener over mixture in pan and stir to thicken any remaining broth.
- Hold hot for service at 135°F.
- Portion about 1 cup of per serving.
Serving Size: ~1 cup
Total Fat: 23g
Saturated Fat: 8g
Trans Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrates: 19g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Total Sugars: 8g
Added Sugars: 0g
Vitamin D: 0% DV
Calcium: 4% DV
Iron: 10% DV
Potassium: 15% DV