There’s nothing better than waking up to a warm breakfast on a brisk fall morning. With our Squash & Apple Hash recipe, swallowing difficulties will not stop you from enjoying all of the flavors of the season.
|2 Servings||6 Servings||12 Servings|
|Pork sausage, seasoned, raw||6 oz
|1 lb 2 oz (raw weight)||2 lb 4 oz (raw weight)|
|Dried, minced onion||1 tsp||1 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
|Butternut squash, minced to 1/4″ pieces||1 cup||3 3/4 cup||7 1/2 cups
(1 qt 3 1/2 cups)
|Apple, peeled, cored and minced to 1/4″ pieces||3/4 cup||3 cups||6 cups
(1 1/2 quarts)
|Broth (chicken or beef)||1 cup||3 cups||6 cups
(1 1/2 quarts)
|THICK & EASY® Instant Food Thickener – Tub
|1 1/2 tsp||1 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
|Spinach, fresh, finely minced||1/4 cup||3/4 cup||1 1/2 cups|
|Salt & pepper||To taste||To taste||To taste|
How to Prepare
- Spray pan with cooking spray
- Add sausage and dried, minced onion and cook until meat is browned and no longer pink. Use a spoon or spatula to break up sausage into very fine crumbles (1/4″ size)
- Remove meat mixture from pan; set aside
- Pour broth into hot pan; bring to a boil and stir to loosen any remaining meat pieces from bottom of pan.
- Add minced butternut squash and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add minced apple; cover and simmer for additional 3-4 minutes or until both the squash and apple pieces are fully cooked and softened.
- Add finely minced spinach and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle THICK & EASY® Instant Food Thickener over mixture in pan and stir to thicken any remaining broth.
- Hold hot for service at 135°F.
- Portion about 1 cup of per serving.
Serving Size: ~1 cup
Total Fat: 23g
Saturated Fat: 8g
Trans Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrates: 19g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Total Sugars: 8g
Added Sugars: 0g
Vitamin D: 0% DV
Calcium: 4% DV
Iron: 10% DV
Potassium: 15% DV