Our new turkey tetrazzini recipe takes a classic American dish and spins it in a way that’s suitable for those with swallowing difficulties. The recipe uses THICK & EASY® Instant Food & Beverage Thickener to create a meal that meets IDDSI Levels 5, 6 & 7!
*For convenience, use THICK & EASY® Bulk Pureed Frozen Peas instead of manually thickening peas with water and thickener. (Use 2 Tbsp of pureed peas per serving).
How to Prepare
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add dried, minced onion and cook briefly until onion starts to soften.
- Add flour and stir well; continue stirring until mixture begins to boil.
- Stir in chicken broth and cream. Bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine sauce with turkey and orzo; mix well.
- Pour into a casserole dish or pan(s) coated with cooking spray.
- Puree peas with water until smooth. Add THICK & EASY® Instant Food & Beverage Thickener and mix well. (or use THICK & EASY® Bulk Pureed Frozen Peas)
- Portion dollops of pureed peas over top of casserole in pan.
- Insert knife or spatula and pull through to gently swirl the mixture together.
- Mix together breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle over top of tetrazzini.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly (internal temperature must be 165°F or higher)
- Hold hot for service at 135°F.
- Portion 1 cup per serving.
Serving Size: About 1 cup
Total Fat: 26g
Saturated Fat: 15g
Trans Fat: 1g
Total Carbohydrates: 42g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Total Sugars: 4g
Added Sugars: 0g
Vitamin D: 1mcg (4% DV)
Calcium: 64mg (4 % DV)
Iron: 2mg (15% DV)
Potassium: 318mg (6% DV)