Take a trip south of the border with this delicious take on a traditional Mexican dish. This recipe uses Thick & Easy® Bread & Dessert Mix and Thick & Easy® Minced Meats for a mouthwatering entree that meets IDDSI Levels 5-7.
|DOUGH||1 SERVING||6 SERVINGS||12 SERVINGS|
|THICK & EASY® Texture-Modified Bread & Dessert Mix
|2 Tbsp||3/4 cup||1 1/2 cups|
|Vegetable oil||1/2 Tbsp||3 Tbsp||6 Tbsp|
|Water, hot||3 Tbsp||1 cup + 2 Tbsp||2 1/4 cups|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp (per bag)|
|FILLING||1 SERVING||6 SERVINGS||12 SERVINGS|
|THICK & EASY® 100% Natural Minced Meats
|2 1/2 Tbsp||1 cup||2 cups|
|Seasonings (onion powder, garlic powder, ground thyme, ground oregano)||1/8 tsp of each||3/4 tsp of each||1 1/2 tsp of each|
|Red enchilada sauce||1 1/2 Tbsp||1/2 cup||1 cup|
|Additional enchilada sauce for garnish, if desired.||As needed||As needed||As needed|
- Add vegetable oil to bread mix and stir until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add turmeric and stir well.
- Add hot water to bread mixture and stir briskly until blended.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or until cool.
- Place Thick & Easy® Level 5 Minced Beef in a bowl; add seasonings and stir.
- Add enchilada sauce and stir until ingredients are combined. Let rest for 30 seconds.
(Note: Before serving, always test for Level 5 using IDDSI guidelines. Add additional sauce if meat mixture is too dry or crumbly; or add a small amount of Thick & Easy® Instant Food & Beverage Thickener if too wet or thin.)
TO ASSEMBLE (PER EMPANADA)
- Place 2 oz. ball of dough on a small piece of parchment or wax paper sprayed with non- stick spray.
- Place another piece of the same on top of dough. Press with tortilla press or plate to approximately 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top piece of parchment or wax paper.
- Place 2 rounded tablespoons of filling in the center of dough. Gently begin to fold over by lifting the parchment or wax paper to form a half moon shape.
- Gently press seams together, and gently remove paper. Crimp with a fork to seal.
- Heat gently to appropriate serving temperature.
- Garnish with additional enchilada sauce and serve.
Empanadas can easily be made ahead of time and can be frozen for 30 days.
Serving Size: 1 empanada
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 180 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 14 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Total Sugars: 3 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 7 g
Vitamin D: 0 mg (0% DV)
Calcium: 10 mg (0% DV)
Iron: .6 mg (4% DV)
Potassium: 50 mg (2% DV)