This Strawberry Shortcake recipe is perfect for those looking for a dysphagia-friendly fruit-filled dessert, and preparation is remarkably easy! This recipe meets IDDSI Levels 4-7.
|Ingredients||1 servings||8 servings||16 servings|
|Thick & Easy® Texture Pureed Bread & Dessert Mix
|2 Tbsp||½ bag (about 1 cup)||1 bag|
|Sugar||1/4 Tbsp||2 Tbsp||¼ cup|
|Vegetable oil||1/2 Tbsp||¼ cup||½ cup|
|Vanilla extract||1/8 tsp||1 tsp||2 tsp|
|Almond extract (optional)||1-2 drops||¾ tsp||1½ tsp|
|Water or milk , hot||2 Tbsp + 2 tsp||1 1/3 cup||2 2/3 cups|
|Prepared strawberry pie filling or glaze, FILLING ONLY (No berries or seeds)*||2 Tbsp||1 cup||2 cups|
|Whipped topping, for garnish||1 Tbsp||½ cup||1 cup|
|PAN SIZE||Muffin cups or other round shape|
*Seedless strawberry jam may be used in place of seedless pie filling or glaze in this recipe.
HOW TO PREPARE
- Lightly spray muffin cups or pans with non-stick cooking spray or line with plastic wrap.
- Combine sugar and THICK & EASY® Pureed Bread & Dessert Mix; stir well.
- Add oil to bread mix and stir until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add vanilla extract to hot water or milk and add to bread mixture. Stir briskly until mixture starts to thicken.
- Portion into muffin cups or pans using a #20 scoop and spread evenly.
- Cover and allow to rest at room temperature or in refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove prepared cakes from pans and portion onto serving dishes.
- Using a tablespoon or gloved hand, gently press into the middle of each cake to make a shallow hole.
- Portion 2 Tbsp of smooth pie filling or glaze (no berries or seeds) into the shallow hole.
- Top with 1 Tbsp whipped topping and serve.
Serving Size: 1 portion (one #20 scoop cake (about ¼ cup), 2 Tbsp filling/glaze and 1 Tbsp whipped topping)
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 75 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 27 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Total Sugars: 14 g
Added Sugars: 10 g
Protein: 2 g
Vitamin D: 0 mg (0% DV)
Calcium: 0 mg (0% DV)
Iron: 0 mg (0% DV)
Potassium: 0 mg (0% DV)