From Basic to Champion – An education series for professionals that develops and refines skills on multiple facets of the IDDSI diet
The training series is free, but an account is required to access the IDDSI Competencies Training Series materials.
To educate and train individuals on the International Dysphagia Diet Standardization Initiative (IDDSI) based upon their required level of understanding.
IDDSI Competencies – The 4 Tiers
Each competency will be taught and evaluated by an individual with a champion IDDSI understanding. The Champion Tier may include a self assessment component.
Materials and requirements for each competency can be found below on each of the tier pages. Individuals must complete one tier before moving on to the next level.
A competency completion Score Sheet for each tier achieved is to be completed and reviewed by an IDDSI Champion before including in an employee personnel file.
Competencies Framework (The 4 Tiers)
A handy printable PDF showing the 4 Tiers in diagram format.
Tier 1: Basic Level
For: Individuals NOT preparing or serving IDDSI foods/drinks.
Examples: Administrator, patient/resident, PT/OT, social services, non-direct care staff, and/or family members.
- Required learning materials (see Tier 1: Basic Level Scoring Sheet)
- General Knowledge Quiz
Tier 2: Intermediate Level
For: Individuals involved with SERVING IDDSI foods/drinks.
Examples: Patient/resident/family, nursing assistants, dietary aides, activities.
- Completion of Tier 1: Basic Level
- Additional required learning materials (see Tier 2: Intermediate Scoring Sheet)
- Tier 2 Specific Skills Testing and Quiz
Tier 3: Advanced Level
For: Individuals involved with PREPARING IDDSI foods/drinks.
Examples: Cooks, SLP (Speech Language Pathologist), nursing, patient/resident/family.
- Completion of Tiers 1 and 2
- Additional required learning materials (see Tier 3: Advanced Level Scoring Sheet)
- Tier 3 Specific Skills Testing and Quiz
Tier 4: Champion Level
For: Individuals overseeing the IDDSI program and training others.
Examples: include CDM (Certified Dietary Manager), RD (Registered Dietitian), SDC (Staff Development Coordinator), SLP (Speech Language Pathologist)
- Completion of Tiers 1-3
- Additional required learning materials (see Tier 4: Champion Level Scoring Sheet)
- Full understanding of IDDSI.org and where to find resources, updates, etc.
- IDDSI Website Navigation Quiz
- Reviewed by another Champion Level individual OR if unavailable, a self-assessment may be completed
Becky Dorner, RDN, LD, FAND
Sue Stillman Linja, RDN, LD
Libby Reynolds, RDN, CD
Brenda Richardson, MA, RDN, LD, FAND