This is a delicious dish featuring our Thick & Easy® Level 5 Ground Chicken in a rich, creamy sauce with rice and veggies. This recipe meets IDDSI Levels 5, 6 and 7, along with a variation for those needing IDDSI Level 4.
|6 Servings||12 Servings|
|Butter||2 tsp||1 Tbsp|
|Fresh mushroom, sliced||1 1/2 oz||3 oz|
|Onions, diced||1/4 cup||1/2 cup|
|Butter||5 Tbsp||10 Tbsp|
|Flour||1/4 cup||1/2 cup|
|Chicken broth||1 1/2 cups||3 cups|
|Milk||1 cup||2 cups|
|Salt||1/2 tsp||1 tsp|
|Black pepper||1/4 tsp||1/2 tsp|
|THICK & EASY® Minced Ground Chicken – Level 5 Ready
|1 1/2 cups||3 cups|
|THICK & EASY® Bulk Pureed Peas – IDDSI Level 4
|6 Tbsp||3/4 cup|
|Pimento, very finely diced (or pureed)||1 1/2 tsp||1 Tbsp|
|THICK & EASY® Bulk Pureed Rice – IDDSI Level 4
|3 cups||6 cups|
Pureed (IDDSI Level 4) Version: Remove prepared portions needed and puree until smooth. Liquid and/or thickener may be added to achieve proper consistency. Serve over pureed rice per serving instructions in Level 5 recipe.
How To Prepare
- Sauté mushrooms and onions in first amount of butter until tender. Remove from pan and grind or puree in food processor. Set aside.
- Melt second amount of butter in saucepan. Add flour and stir with wire whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Add chicken broth and milk; whisk until blended.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
- Add thawed Thick & Easy® Ground Chicken (IDDSI Level 5), ground mushrooms and onions, salt and pepper. Stir and heat until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- To serve: Portion 1/2 cup heated Thick & Easy® Bulk Pureed Thickened Rice onto serving plate (see serving suggestions).
- Top with one #8 scoop chicken a la king mixture.
- Add small dollops or use piping bag to portion 1 Tbsp per serving of THICK & EASY® Bulk Pureed Peas – IDDSI Level 4, thawed & heated to serving temperature (165°F) and ground/pureed pimento (1/4 tsp per serving) on top of chicken mixture.
- Garnish with finely diced parsley, if desired.
- Instead of individually portioning the pureed peas and pimento per serving, they may be added to the entire chicken mixture prior to serving. Simply swirl the peas into the chicken mixture and fold in finely diced or pureed pimento. Portion one #8 scoop chicken a la king per serving and serve over pureed thickened rice.
- Rice may be served in a variety of ways:
- Portion 1/2 cup onto plate and spread evenly
- Serve straight from the bag by making a very small snip in the corner of the bag and pipe onto plate.
- Place rice in a pastry bag with desired tip and pipe onto plate.
- Press through a potato ricer to achieve a more realistic “rice” shape.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup (#8 scoop) of chicken a la king and rice
Total Fat: 25g
Saturated Fat: 10g
Trans Fat: 0g
Total Carbs: 24g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Total Sugars: 4g
Vitamin D: 2% DV
Calcium: 6% DV
Iron: 6% DV
Potassium: 4% DV