PLUS-2® Protein Energy Shake
Nutritional Supplement Usage Guidelines
Purpose: To provide the individual resident additional supplementation if the need exists to promote weight maintenance or gain and to promote skin integrity.
Protocol for PLUS-2® Protein Energy Shake During Medication Passes:
- Obtain physician’s order for PLUS-2® Protein Energy Shake, 60cc (2 oz.) QID.
- Transfer order to resident’s medical record.
- Store PLUS-2® Protein Energy Shake under refrigeration on the nursing unit. Store any unused portion in the refrigerator and discard after 10 days.
- Dispense the PLUS-2® Protein Energy Shake during med pass and other times as necessary. Give 60cc (2 oz.) in a granulated medication cup. Discard after four hours at room temperature.
- Provide extra water, alternative juice, or drink beverage to prevent dehydration dependent upon patient’s condition or diagnosis.
- Document amount of PLUS-2® Protein Energy Shake consumed by resident in resident’s medication record. Also record for fluid intake if applicable.
- The resident should be weighed monthly or as noted in the resident’s medical record (e.g. daily, bi-weekly, etc.). Weight changes should be monitored as part of the on-going nutritional assessment.
Criteria for Assessing the Need for PLUS-2® Protein Energy Shake:
- Weight loss x 30 days, -7.5% x 3 months, -10% x 180 days
- Unplanned, progressive weight loss
- Decubiti. Skin breakdown
- Delayed wound healing
- Increased metabolic need such as severe trauma, burns, infection, recent fractures or surgery
- Low serum albumin (<3.5)
- Cancer and radiation or chemotherapy
- HIV or AIDS