Lemon pie has been a classic dessert in the American south for hundreds of years, but its tart flavor and pop of color have now endeared it to people all across the globe. And now, there's a tasty Lemon Pie recipe that's safe for those with swallowing difficulties to consume.
The THICK & EASY® Lemon Cream Cheese Pie recipe uses THICK & EASY® Bread & Dessert Mix to create a confectionary concoction that's IDDSI Certified Levels 4-7. Not only is it safe for those with dysphagia, it's packed with bold flavor and easy to make:
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Generously coat pans with cooking spray.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, bread mix and sugar. Add cold water and stir briskly until mixture starts to thicken.
- Immediately pour into pan(s). Press to flatten and push crust onto sides of pan, as needed. (Use plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray for handling of soft crust).
- Place crust(s) in refrigerator or freezer while preparing the filling.
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Scrape down sides with spatula.
- Add milk and continue mixing until smooth. Fold in prepared whipped cream.
- Reserve a small amount of filling for garnish.
- Portion remaining filling into graham cracker crust(s) and spread evenly. Freeze until solid.
- Spread lemon pie filling or curd evenly over top of frozen filling. Garnish as desired with reserved cream cheese filling or extra whipped cream.
- Cut and portion dessert while still frozen. Thaw portion completely before serving
Note: Recipe may be prepared using a variety of pan sizes and shapes, such as 4-inch individual tart pans, mini muffin pans, 8-inch square pan for lemon bars or dessert squares (yields 6 portions per pan), mini pie pans, and dessert dishes (layer crust and fillings in dessert dish and garnish). Make sure to generously coat pans with cooking spray before adding crust.